Haifa WWTP – Upgrades
This WWTP serves 11 municipalities with population of 800,000.
The treatment plant was originally built in the early 60’s for a population of 225,000 and was the first municipal sewage treatment plant in Israel.
The first upgrade and expansion of the plant took place in the mid 70’s and was designed for population of 560,000.
The second upgrade and expansion of the plant took place in the late 90’s and was designed for population of 800,000.
BJIS prepared the general and detailed design of the first and second expansions including process, civil, mechanical, electrical and control engineering as well as provided general construction supervision.
Average Design Flow
Average B.O.D. Load
- B.N.R. Activated Sludge
- 3 Archimedes pumps diameter of 2.4 m
- Bar screens
- Grit removal units
- Primary clarifires
- B.N.R. Activated sludge reactors with low speed surface aerators – 3500 KW
- Final clarifiers
- Effluent disinfection, the effluent are reclaimed for unrestricted agriculture use
- Anaerobic digestion, sludge dewatering, and bio-gas utilization
- 7 G.B.T. units for W.A.S. thickening
- 8 anaerobic difesters, 3,700 m3 each, for the stabilization of the thickened W.A.S. and the primary sludge. Digesters are mixed by gas mixing system
- 9 B.F.M. units and 1 decanter centrifuge for the dewatering of the digested sludge
- Co-generation system for the utilization of the bio-gas including 2 co-generation units, each having 1,300 KW electric capacity